About Taipei Info Hub
About the Venue
“Warehouse of Taipei Memory” is a red brick building constructed in the Japanese colonial period. It is located adjacent to Taipei Old North Gate and Taipei Main Station, and also near Tamsui River and Dadaocheng wharf. The location does reflect the booming trade development of Taipei at the time, and witnesses the course of trade transportation from water way to ground transportation.
The subject of the venue is forest resource and trading. With the context of basin and city development and through the space evolution of upstream, midstream, and downstream, a story tells the audiences how did people utilize and create resources, while a dialogue platform of diversified viewpoints is created at the same time.
The full name of “Mitsui Warehouse” is “Former Mitsui & Co. Taipei warehouse.” It was a red brick two-story house constructed around 1913-1914 in the Japanese colonial period, and one of the few historical buildings that still keep the trade mark of Mitsui Group. In 1914-1920, Mitsui Group had signed a partnership agreement with Guangtong Transportation Company allowing Guangtong to store Mitsui owned goods in Mitsui warehouse until 1935 when the warehouse had seriously been damaged. The warehouse had then been rebuilt and handed over to Nitto Merchant Ship Kumi (Company) for use after the construction completed. After World War II, the warehouse had been transferred to be under the management of Taiwan Supply Bureau and handed over again in 2002 to Taiwan Railways Administration.
In 2016, due to the implementation of Taipei West Gateway project, Mitsui Warehouse was relocated 51 meters eastward by means of Preservation relocation and Relocated reconstructing. With the designing concept of “Warehouse of Memory,” the space was planned for exhibition and reopened formally starting from November 2018. The cut gable was from the time was preserved near the entrance of the ground floor, allowing the visitors to recall the history of Mitsui Warehouse during the Japanese colonial period. Served as a guiding information station that connects the surrounding cultural assets, the warehouse is centered on North Gate and connects Futai Street Mansion, Ministry of Railways, and Taipei Post Office built in 1910, 1913, 1919, and 1930 respectively. It is an iconic building of Taipei City, witnessing the Qing Dynasty, the Japanese colonial period, unit the post-war Taipei city as well as the modern development of railway traffic.
Mitsui was the largest group in Taiwan during the Japanese colonial period. It was engaged in the exportation of monopoly products such as tea, rice, sugar, camphor, salt, tobacco, as well as invested in the industries of Taiwan Sugar Company, Keelung Coal Mine, Japanese Camphor, Mitsui Co., and Taiwan Electronics, which had almost covered all the goods needed in daily life at the time. Mitsui & Co., Ltd. was established in 1876 by Mitsui Group for the expansion of its industrial management. It was founded by Takenosuke Mitsui and Yonosuke Mitsui, and specializes in selling various consigned goods to earn commissions. However, after World War II, the former Mitsui & Co. was requested to dissolve the consortium by the commander-in-chief of the Allied Forces in Japan. Therefore, it was dissolved in 1947. The present Mitsui & Co., Ltd. was established in 1959 after reorganization and it has no legal relationship with the former Mitsui & Co.